We all experience this situation that we deleted a text message, and shortly after, we recognize that we need it.
How to recover deleted text messages on your cell phone?
It is good to know that if you be a little lucky, you might get it back. First, we talk about recovering iPhone messages, and then we go through Android phones.
Recover deleted text messages on iPhone
- How to recover deleted texts from an iCloud backup
To use iCloud, you have to get an iCloud backup before you missed the message. If you do so, you might find the lost messages.
To retrieve deleted messages from iCloud.
- First, you have to open Settings and click on your name or picture top of the page.
- Then choose the iCloud > Manage Storage icon, and click Backups.
- Now, you will find a list of available backups. Find the correct device message that you saved before you delete it.
- It is good to know that retrieving messages need to reset your iPhone to factory settings. It means you will miss all data you have collected. It is good to make separate copies of any original files you need.
- When you did them all, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings and start restoring your iPhone to default settings. After a few minutes, your phone guides you through the typical setup. Here, you have to be careful to choose the correct option to recover from a backup.
- How to recover deleted texts from an iTunes/Finder backup
Do not worry when you can not retrieve your messages from iCloud. There is another option to find them from a backup on iTunes or Finder. It is better to have a backup from your messages, but if you do not that, still try this way.
You have saved anything precious to you. Because in this method, you will lose your data if you did not have a backup.
- First, you have to connect your iPhone to the Mac or PC you backed it up. Then try to open iTunes or Finder.
- If you open iTunes, you will find an iPhone icon look on the top left-hand side. Then choose it. But if you use Finder, you have to find your device from the left-hand table bar.
- After that, select Restore backup that you might find under the General tab.
- Finally, you will see that all the data you earlier backed up is on your phone. It might take some minutes.
- How to recover deleted texts using a third-party app
Sometimes you may find that the past options are not helpful. Now it is time to find a third-party software app and install it. While you have to pay for some of these tools, none of them guarantee that you will find your messages. But sometimes there is no other choice, and you have to try it.
There are a lot of third-party apps to retrieve your lost messages from your iPhone. Here, I want to introduce some famous ones like PhoneRescue by iMobie, Enigma Recovery, WonderShare Dr.Fone for iOS, and Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery.
Sometimes after you remove messages, they persist on your handset till overwritten, so it might be possible to retrieve deleted messages utilizing these services. But with no guarantee.
I have a piece of advice if you want to use one of these tools. Try to do so as immediately as you can.
By the way in the guide: “Text Scheduler iPhone” learn how to schedule a text on iphone.
Recover Deleted Text Messages on Android
Put your cell phone in Airplane mode, as the first thing after you realize you have removed an important text. Do not record audio or use the camera anymore. Make sure you do not produce any further data that may overwrite your text information.
- Ask the Sender/Recipient
As soon as you understand you removed an urgent text message, the easiest way is to ask the sender. Here, you have to ask the person to send you a screenshot if he still has the text. Also, you can ask for another forwarded message. If you were not successful in these ways, it is time to try other possible ways.
- Use an SMS Recovery App
We recommend this way to all of you, but it might not work for various people. Some of the famous recovery apps are Wondershare Dr Fone, Coolmuster Android SMS Recovery, Yaffs free extractor, and Undeleter app. While today, there are many sites suggesting recovery apps for Android devices, there are many drawbacks to these options. Some recovery apps offer a free trial. But after you want to use them, they require you to pay to retrieve your texts. Some of them ask for a higher price as they make you assume they are trustworthy and the app works.
More than that, an SMS recovery app may reach rooted to your cell phone. In this way, it will access all your files on your device, so it is a risky process. Because the folder containing your messages is hidden from you in a preserved system folder on Android, you can not scan that folder without rooting. It is also true about installing a trustful file browser app.
Unfortunately, text recovery apps may not work without rooting your device. Alternatively, if you decide to give such apps root access to your phone, you may face a blank screen or a security warning.
Also, you may discover software that requires you to use the USB Mass Storage protocol for return, which you can not do.
We all face a lost or accidentally deleted message at least once? But you could recover them using some simple recovery ways that we introduced in the above text.
Source of iPhone photos: