Besides being extremely annoying, pop-up ads can put your privacy at hazard by redirecting you to unsafe websites. Allowing access to strangers or downloading malicious software takes a mere click at times, and pop-up ads are mostly regarded as unreliable just because of that matter.
How do I stop pop up Ads on my android phone
Blocking pop-ups on a PC or laptop is a lot easier. The risk is also relatively lower with a computer than smartphones, where touching any part of the screen could pose grave danger to the owner. Although not as common as in laptops, blocking pop-up ads in smartphones is also possible. The following article will present relevant information about blocking pop-up ads depending on the browser you are using.
Blocking pop-up ads in a Chrome browser
1.start by opening the Chrome app on your phone or tablet.
2. Afterwards opening the app, look at the top right of the screen to find a sign consisting of three vertical dots beside the address bar and tap on it.
3. In the opened menu, scroll down to find settings.
4. After tapping on Settings, you will be redirected to a new screen, scrolling down on which you will find the site settings option.
5. Tap on-site settings and choose whether to enable or disable pop-up ads on your browser.
Blocking pop-ups in Mozilla
Mozilla Firefox browser provides users with a built-in pop-up blocker, but the degrees to which it blocks pop-ups are adjustable. To get more pop-ups blocked by firefox, follow the instructions below:
- Open the Mozilla app on your smartphone or tablet.
- On the bottom-right of the screen, look for a sign with three vertical dots, touch the sign to enlarge the menu. On the opened menu, scroll down to find settings.
- Find ‘Enhanced Tracking Protection.’
- After touching on ‘ Enhanced Tracking Protection,’ you will have three options; standard, strict, and custom, where you choose to block the pop-ups you desire and allow the others.
- From the three different options, choose strict; under the strict plan, you will get to block more apps than you normally.
Why do I keep getting pop-up ads on my android phone?
The frequency of receiving pop-up ads on your phone depends significantly on the apps you choose to install on your phone. Detecting the source of the problem on itself is not possible.
Since you probably have several apps on your device. Want to know which app is causing the problem? Keep reading.
Find the problematic application using AirPush Detector:
1.Download the app from Google Play Store.
2. Launch the app after the installation, allowing it access to the apps on your phone.
3. Start the scan. After the scan is finished, AirPush Detector will give you a report containing a list of the apps which use notification ad frameworks.
4. From there, you can uninstall the apps mentioned in the list and get rid of the annoying pop-ups.
How to block full-screen pop-ups in your Android phone
If the pop-ups appear when a specific app is running, that same app is probably causing the problem. Ads are a way for developers to earn money, which is why they mostly appear on free apps. In such cases, you will need to make a decision; to keep the app regardless of the annoying pop-ups or uninstall it and replace it with a similar one.
If there’s a PRO version of the app, you can purchase and keep it as most PRO versions do not include ads or pop-ups.
Although the feature sounds pretty reasonable, it is not commonly found in all applications.
As most pop-ups require an internet connection, launching the apps in airplane mode will spare you from the headache of dealing with pop-ups. It is worth noting that the previous method will not prove useful in online apps and games.
What are pop-ups used for?
Pop-ups are so nerve wreaking, even the founder of the technology has apologized for it. Many people view websites with pop-ups as unreliable and prefer to get out immediately. But these popping messages are surprisingly still in use. With such a bad reputation, why are pop-ups still in use?
- Pop-ups can turn visitors into subscribers.
Using pop-ups is the most effective way for turning passive visitors into active subscribers, which is why many website admins still prefer the method. How does this work? As soon as you enter the website, a pop-up appears asking you to leave an e-mail for receiving notifications. The former is a relatively cheap and quick method for website owners to increase website subscribers and expand their mailing list.
- Promoting website Content
Besides attracting subscribers, pop-ups are proper tools for promoting website content and even encouraging visitors to stay on the website and take a glimpse of other pages. Thanks to pop-ups, website admins can recommend other content similar to the one the visitor has searched for.
- Reducing the bounce rate
The bounce rate relates to the average time a user spends on a website. A high bounce rate will diminish a website’s credibility and decrease its chances of landing a proper place in the search results. As such, many website owners try to reduce this rate by keeping visitors on the site for a longer time. How do they do that? They will send you a pop-up just as you are about to leave the site asking you to subscribe or share your e-mail address.
We all agree that receiving pop-ups are the most annoying part of surfing on the internet. Although many websites have abandoned the use of these pesky messages, they will not be out of fashion anytime soon. All you can do in the meantime is blocking them on your browsers and avoiding software containing a high amount of pop-ups. Disable pop-ups in your browser, and if that is not enough, install AdBlock software, oh and maybe launch some apps in airplane mode.