With the advent of technology and the internet, social media have captured the attention of the world. Among them, TikTok has gained huge popularity these last couple of years. For those of you who are not acquainted with TikTok, it is a Chinese video-sharing application with upwards of one billion monthly active users. Therefore, finding a specific user is actually not as easy as it seems.
You need not worry, however, since we intend to subject this matter to close scrutiny. You should take into account the fact that there are plenty of ways to go about finding a username on TikTok.
4 Methods to search for TikTok users
The first approach on the list is the most straightforward, and it is done through the Discover Page, which is located at the bottom of the screen with a glass icon.
- Head to the Discover Page in Tiktok website.
- Type in the name or username that you are looking for. Bear it in mind that the results could be sorted by different filters including Users, Videos, Sounds, etc.
- You can now go ahead and choose the account that you have been looking for. Afterwards, you will be directed to their profile. There, you could tap the “Follow” button to not miss any content from your favorite creator.
The second method is to search from your profile page.
- As you might have noticed, there are four tabs at the bottom of the screen. Tap the rightmost one titled “Me”.
- Now, tap the “Find friends” icon, which is located in the top left corner of the screen.
- Proceed to type the name or username that you have been looking for in the search bar.
- Finally, you will be taken to the profile you are looking for once you tap it. You could now follow the creator by tapping “Follow”.
Third method is to look for friends via contacts or Facebook.
The prerequisite for this method to work is that you go to your phone settings and allow TikTok access to you contacts. While on the other hand, Facebook will ask you to sign in to your Facebook account. Keep in mind that you will receive a warning afterwards saying “This allows the app and website to share information about you”. Such information could be stuff like your Facebook username and profile picture.
These two methods can increase the range of your TikTok network, for you are possibly dragging your friends and family from other platforms into your TikTok circle. But before you go ahead and bring all your friends in, keep in mind that by doing so you will grant TikTok access to your personal data. You have to settle with yourself about this privacy matter before you make use of this method. After you got past the hesitancy and decided that you need your contacts and Facebook friends by your side in TikTok, continue to read on. Down below, we are going to go through every step to show you how it’s done.
To find friends via contacts follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to your profile page.
- Tap the “Find Friends” button, which is located in the upper left corner.
- Under the search bar and next to “Contacts”, you will see “Find”. Tap it.
- After that, TikTok will require you to grant it access to your contacts. You can tap “Open Settings” and allow TikTok to access your contacts.
- You will have to go back to the TikTok app to see the list of accounts that have been found by TikTok from your contacts.
- Last but not least, don’t forget to drop a follow on them by tapping “Follow”.
To find friends via Facebook follow the instructions below:
- Head over to your profile page and tap “Find Friends” in the upper left corner.
- Under the search bar and next to “Facebook Friends”, there is “Find”. Tap it.
- After that, Facebook will mandate you to sign in to your Facebook account. As you know, this will allow TikTok to access your Facebook account’s information. You will have to tap “Continue” to sign in.
- You will be taken to a page that says “TikTok will receive the following info: your name and profile picture and friends list.”
- There will also be a warning at the bottom of the page saying “By continuing, TikTok will receive ongoing access to the information you share and Facebook will record when TikTok accesses it.
- If you are still determined to continue, tap “Continue as [your username].”
- You will then be shown a message that goes “Facebook wants to open TikTok”. Go ahead and tap “Open”.
- Just like the last steps, tap “Find” next to “Facebook Friends”.
- Next up, you will be asked to sync the list of your Facebook friends with your TikTok account. This is essential for finding friends. Tap “Sync”.
- Make sure to follow your favorite creator by tapping “Follow”.
It is worth mentioning that if you intend to remove your synced contacts or Facebook friends, you could do so. All you need to do is to head over to your privacy settings on TikTok and tap “Sync contacts and Facebook friends.” There, you are going to have the options “Remove contacts” or “Remove Facebook friends.” Finally, you are going to be prompted once again to tap “Remove”.
In conclusion, we presented 4 methods in this article for finding users in TikTok, so you could broaden your circle of friends and enjoy the content they make.