Facebook is one of the big social media, which sometimes gets confusing for its users because it has too many features, and not all users are aware of the working system.
One of the Facebook’s parts that might become confusing for people is the Facebook profile page, which consists of many components including message, adding a person as a friend, photo albums, about and all other information.
However, this option can be hidden if one prefers to control them, and we are going to talk about this topic here, which might become confusing for other users.
Why can’t I add someone as a friend on Facebook?
In the Facebook setting, you can change many things, including how would you like people to contact you. In this section, you can change who can find you on Facebook search, and who might add you as a friend. All of these actions can be controlled in the Facebook setting except for the message. Though, there are some social media management tools like Facebook tools that you can to better performance on Instagram and get rid of its issues.
If someone hides the profile options (follow, and add as a friend), visitors might only see some of the photos left open (those you have made them public) or some information about the person.
The reasons why you can’t add someone on Facebook could be:
- The person has change the Privacy of the Facebook account
- The person has deactivated the account
- The person has blocked you
- The person has restricted you
- Or This is a Facebook bug
Note: If you have sent the request and it changed to “Add Friend” it means that they have declined your request.
In this case, a profile looks strange, and visitors might think that they are blocked, though they are not. Here is how this kind of profile looks:
To hide the request option:
- Go to the Facebook profile on a browser
- on the top right click on the triangular icon. This is the first icon from the right side. Then, click on the settings.
- On your left side, there is a list, find “privacy”
- click to open that
- In the “how people find and contact you” section, the first item is about control “who can send you a friend request”
There are two options here for you, the first one is public, and friends of friends is the second option. So, if you have no mutual friends with someone, they cannot add you as a friend.
The only option that cannot be changed on the Facebook profile is its messaging features. Facebook might want to put at least one way to contact anyone on the platform. So, people can’t hide the message option from their profile. However, if unknown people contact you, it will go to you in the request section. It won’t appear on your primary messages unless you accept it.
This is the same on Instagram, too, and someone sends you the request that is not in your follower’s list, the message will automatically go to the request direct messages part.
There all are actions that protect the community from seeing unwanted content. The Facebook message part is the only one that a user cannot control it. So, hiding the message option is out of your control.
However, if one sends you a message (who is not in your friend’s lists) it would go to the message request part, and you have the option to accept or ignore them; if you ignore, you won’t see the message in the inbox. You would also have the opportunity to select not hear from this person, even if you have seen a message in your inbox. In this case, you won’t see the message in the inbox anymore.
Why is there no add friend button on some Facebook profiles?
Lots of Facebook users complain about the issue where there is no add friend button on some Facebook profiles, which is a disaster. Imagine wanting to add someone so badly, but you just don’t seem to find the button. Below you can find out why. Meanwhile if you are facing another issue with Facebook like me, head to why is Facebook so slow, to fix any minor Facebook issue you are having.
There are actually four reasons why there is no add friend button on Facebook, which are written below:
- The profile owner might have put their setting of “Who can contact me” as “Friends of friends,” and you both have not any mutual friends.
- The person might have blocked and then unblocked you or just denied your request, which can cause the issue that you see no add friend button on their profile anymore.
- A person has reached 5000 friends limit and now cannot add more.
- You blocked the person before. Blocking a person on Facebook will unfriend them too. You need to unblock them first so you can add them.
All in all
Facebook, as the first global social media, has too many features that are sometimes confusing for users, and knowing a person’s profile, is one of this issue. if you have seen some of the users’ profiles that look strange and weird, and you have no option to add or follow the person, but you see the profile picture, make sure you are not blocked; It means they have changed their profile setting.